Friday, November 16, 2007

Good Pizza and a Lame Poetry Reading

Kelly and I went to Limestone Coffee & Tea in Batavia for their first open mike. It's located on the corner of Wilson and River streets, and is an elongated space with tall, sky blue walls. A few nice paintings adorn these walls and there's a room for kids to play in. Overall it's very nice, and the coffee is good, but the five or six tables may limit the amount of people able to participate or enjoy the open mike there.

Nicole M. was already there when we arrived. She was sitting with Jennifer, the host, but no one else had shown up yet. Since we were hungry, me and Kelly decided to bail out and have dinner. We promised to come back later. Then we walked to Venice Tavern and had some great pizza. After dinner we went back to Limestone as promised, but there still was no turnout. Jennifer was up front now, playing acoustic guitar and singing, so we decided to stay for a beverage. Nicole left a few minutes after we got there. We talked with her briefly and then left shortly after she did, taking our drinks with us.

When we got back to my place I was excited to show Kelly Comet 17P/Holmes, which, on this night, was moving through the constellation Perseus. Very exciting! After that we decided to write; Kelly worked on her novel, and I wrote a poem called "Stopwatch." Coincidentally, both of our writings contained a similar concept: the almost apocalyptic downfall of mankind and the reclaiming of earth by nature.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Venice Tavern is now my favorite thin crust pizza place. Yummo!

I'm very glad I got my own private poetry reading later.

12 Years Later...

and I'm still very much in love with Kelly, who is now my wife. And we have a great son, Garion, who is totally NOT introverted like his...